Monday 28 May 2007

Tour of Wessex

This weekend was the Tour of Wessex, a huge organised cycle ride around the lovely countryside of Somerset and Dorset. There were a number of routes of different lengths each day and you could choose whether to do each day or just one. Full details of the event which is a yearly event can be found here http://www.tourofwessex.com. Quite a few people at work had been talking about making the trip down from London to spend their bank holiday weekend cycling 300 miles. I was not one of them.

However, on Sunday I did sit in The Queens Arms in Corton Denham and enjoy a sumptuous meal while lots of very damp people cycled past in the pouring rain. Once or twice I did feel a slight pang of guilt, but the Butcombe soon sorted that out and made me feel better. Maybe I will do it next year.

Later in the day in an act of solidarity with the soaking wet riders I went and got wet myself. Of course I had the sense to do it in a nice warm pool. Unfortunately I had a mad man there encouraging me to do lengths of butterfly and to swim with my legs tied together. Anyone for backstroke with your arms in the air - try it, it's great! I managed not to drown, though I did drink a lot of water. Hopefully my swim smooth DVD will arrive this week and I can start to seriously sort out my front crawl. That's for next week though, now it's time for relaxing and wine (and trying not to feel guilty).

No comments: