Sunday 4 November 2007

Going smoothly

My swimming seems to be going really well at the moment. I have completed the first six sessions of the Swim Smooth novice plan. After only six sessions I am not expecting miracles but I believe the greater focus provided by having a properly structured plan for each session is really helping. Rather than pottering up and down the pool aimlessly or sprinting up and down and tiring myself out really quickly I know exactly what I have to do.

Yes, you do get some strange looks while you are doing the drills. Sculling and the doggy-paddle has to be the worst. With the others it is obvious you are doing some sort of training practice and people seeing you will think you are a serious swimmer. Doing doggy-paddle you look like you are just crap.

I also think the emphasis on technique is very good. I don't just need to get faster and stronger I also need to get more efficient. Next year I want to do some longer distance races (maybe even an Ironman one day) and the limiting factor for that is my swimming. If I keep going at the current rate of three sessions a week I should finish this plan by the middle of December. So I will have to wait a while to see whether this is really having the effect that I need.

No comments: