Monday 18 June 2007

Drying out

When I told someone at work today that after a busy weekend I was looking forward to drying out again they asked “Did you have a lot of rain then?” Unfortunately they had completely the wrong end of the stick.

In fact my father had spent the weekend with us. He was in the area to attend the AGM of his schools old boys society and decided to make a short holiday of it and catch up with his favourite son*. We had a great weekend but, as tends to happen with my family, we did end up drinking rather more than we should have done. I know it’s not big and it’s not clever to be drunk. You should do as the adverts say and enjoy alcohol wisely and I think we did.

It always surprises me and slightly scares me how easy it is for a couple of beers when you get in after a busy day to turn into four beers followed by a couple of bottles of wine. Spread out of the course of seven or eight hours and with a big meal thrown in we were never really drunk. We wouldn’t have passed a breathalyser test but of course we weren’t driving. We were just happy and relaxed. In the morning we had dry throats and sore heads, but by the evening that memory had faded (as usual) and we were ready to start again.

All in all a really good weekend but I really didn’t want to get up at 05:20 this morning to go to work.


* I am of course his only son.

No comments: