Monday 22 October 2007

It's all over

As any right thinking Englishman should, I spent Saturday night at the rugby club watching the big match on the telly. After watching Argentina beat France (again) on Friday night there was a slight feeling that anything was possible. This whole world cup has been full of surprises, I don't think many people would have correctly chosen the four semi-finalists before the start of the tournament.

Overriding the hope though, was the fear that South Africa may make us look stupid again as they hand us another thrashing. Thankfully it was a close, though not pretty, game. It really could have gone either way until very near the end. Surprisingly the mood in the rugby club at the end of the game was not too downbeat at all. Perhaps this was due to the low expectations we had coming into the World Cup, perhaps it was due to the large quantities of beer we had already drunk. I'm not quite sure.

I do know I had a really good evening. Since I have stopped playing rugby I haven't really been to the club much so it was great to catch up with some old friends and have a few beers together. Because of my split location life I don't really have the opportunity to join a tri club so I really miss the social aspect of rugby. A sign of how triathlon is growing though is the number of ex-players I know who are turning to triathlon as they get too old for rugby (me included). So I even managed to spend part of the evening discussing swimming with a friend who did the Sherborne Ironman this year. Sprints to Ironman in one year - mad!

Well, off to bed now. I need to get up early in the morning for a swim before work.

No comments: