Thursday 23 October 2008

Unclean! Unclean! Mumps Alert

This week was scheduled to be a rest week and I planned to reduce the volume of training but keep the frequency roughly the same. Life seems to have got in the way of my plans though.

The first problem was on Tuesday. I have decided to move my sessions around a little bit with the first change being to move my Tuesday swim from the morning to the evening. At work on Tuesday I checked the timetable for the swimming pool and found Tuesday night was women only. I don't qualify for that, so no swimming.

Things went downhill from there.

Very early on Wednesday morning I was woken by the sound of my mobile phone ringing. Work were the only people I could think of that would be calling me at 04:30. So I ignored it and went back to sleep. But it rang again a while later so I checked the number to see who it was. It was my wife giving me the news that she thought she had mumps! Later, while I was work, the diagnosis was confirmed and my wife was confined to the house for the next two weeks. This meant a short run back to the flat after work, followed by a long drive back home to Somerset. The next few days are going to be filled with looking after children, nursing mumps patients and working from home. I will try and fit some training in somewhere but I am not too hopeful.

No comments: