Wednesday 6 May 2009

Bad Ankle

On Saturday I spent a lovely afternoon at a party to celebrate some friends wedding anniversary. It was very pleasant, though it might have been even more pleasant if I had sampled some of the cider that was available. But I volunteered to drive since I am virtually teetotal at the moment in the run-up to my Ironman. That meant I was able to go for a run in the evening when I got home.

Sitting in a marquee all afternoon, eating hog roast, is not the best preparation for a long run. However I was busy during the week and missed my normal long run day so I decided to go for it. I felt quite slow on the run but after an afternoon in the sun and half a pig that was no great surprise. For some parts of the run I decided to go off road and headed down some of the rough tracks and lanes around the village. This was a mistake, I think, as my right ankle is now sore and swollen. All my recent long runs, indeed virtually all of my runs, have been on the road. Going off-road on a long run when I was already tired was probably not very clever.

On Saturday I felt fine but when I woke up on Sun day I could barely walk. Hobbling about during the day kept my ankle moving and seemed to help as it gradually eased off. The area around my Achilles tendon and the knobbly bit on the outside of the ankle is still slightly swollen. I have had some problems with this ankle before so I am taking it very easy and just resting it. No running until next week I think.

Also this post may be slightly late as I am having internet troubles.

No comments: