Monday 19 February 2007

Still coughing

OK I admit it. I will declare in public that my wife was right and I was wrong. She said I was not well enough to be training at the weekend and that I should just take things easy. So did I?

Well no of course I didn't (this would be a very short blog entry if I had). Instead I took the bike out for a spin and it actually felt really good. I have had a really bad chest cough which has been making it hard to sleep let alone train. Perhaps because of this enforced rest my legs were full of energy. Yes, my nose kept running, but my legs were powering me along.

Maybe because I was so relived to be out training again but it just felt so good. The hill felt easier than it has ever done before, I just ignored the pain and ground my way up it. In a moment of madness I even considered going straight back down it so I could go up it again. Thankfully I wasn't so high on endorphins that I had completely lost my reason and decided that perhaps I should save that session for another day.

I felt really good until I got home and got of the bike. At which point I started to cough. And cough. And cough. I had some food then tried to spend some quality time with my daughter. This end up with us cuddled up together on the sofa, her watching telly, me snoring. Not quite what I had in mind but very nice. Until I woke myself up with a coughing fit.

The coughing has continued since then. Through two meals with my wife's family, a long walk on the beach, the drive back to London, and the day in the office. Even now I am coughing. I have been coughing for three weeks now and it is driving me mad and the ride this weekend has made it worse. So yes I admit it, my darling wife, you were right and I was wrong. I should not have gone out on the bike this weekend. I should have listened to you and stayed at home, this was not a weekend for triathlons this was a weekend for resting.

No comments: