Saturday 28 April 2007

Back in training

The jet lag took a couple of days to shake off but it has gone now and I am back in training. I have had a few mechanical problems with my bike this week. Nothing major, just gears jumping when I pedal hard, bits sticking, that type of thing. My reputation for DIY and all things mechanical is famous. Which explains why it took a week to get such minor things fixed. But I do have a sense of satisfaction that I managed to do it myself.

In the absence of a usable bike I have been running to work this week. The distance involved in the run is not very great but it is split into two legs with a train journey in the middle. Sitting on a train for 45 minutes in the middle of a session is not the best thing and does have a habit of leaving me stiff and sore. Since I haven't been training properly for a while but the end of the week I was very stiff, tired, and really looking forward to my rest day. A day off has done me the world of good and I feel fine again now. However I know I need to keep an eye on things and make sure that I don't push things too hard. My fitness levels are lower than they were at the start of the year and if I try and do the volumes of work I was then I will end up injuring myself.

My motivation levels at the moment are very high though and it is difficult to rein myself in and make sure I don't push too hard. Hopefully I should be able to regain my fitness quite quickly as the start of the racing season is almost here. I need to plan what races I am going to do as well - so much to do, so little time.

No comments: