Monday 28 April 2008

Freezing Cold

Lots of the in-laws were around at the weekend, with various people jetting in from different parts of the globe. So it was decided that on Sunday we would all head to the beach for a barbecue. We had a great time. We played cricket, explored the beach, chased the seagulls, watched Dan drop the sausages in the sand, all the usual British beach activities. There was no sun-bathing as while it wasn't actually cold, it wasn't really very warm either.


I was very good and managed not to pig out on too much unhealthy food. I even ate some salad and enjoyed it. Then, since I was at the beach, I thought it would be a good idea to have a quick swim. My children and been going in and out of the sea, playing and also recovering the ball when we were playing cricket, so it couldn't be that cold. Since I had my goggles and trunks with me I got changed and off I went. Yes, you did read that right I said trunks.

I tried to estimate how long the beach was so that I could figure out how far I swam. Then I got in the water and all thoughts of doing a nice long swim disappeared. It was absolutely freezing. How my children hadn't already died from exposure I don't know. Unfortunately, since the kids had been quite happily going in the water, pride wouldn't allow me to come straight back out again. So I spent a few minutes having a little splash around. Proper swimming wasn't too good as the cold made my face and head hurt too much.

Once I felt I had been in long enough I ran back out of the water for a towel. At this point my wife suggested that I go back into the sea so that could take some Daniel Craig style shots of me running out of the water. Quite apart from my fear that I might freeze to death, the cold has effects on the male body that mean it is not in the best condition for a photo shoot. Daniel Craig was, I am sure, photographed running out of nice warm water into bright sunshine, hence he wasn't blue, shivering and shrivelled. To make up for the lack of photos, I gave my wife a nice wet hug, which for some reason she didn't really appreciate. There is no pleasing some people.

No comments: